The Never-Ending Song

I was once a hill,
Wild flowers crept
along my shadowy feet
In my dense, inviting arms
were birds, of colours
that you don't see any more

I was once a hill,
with sweat so sweet,
it flowed from my brow,
gushing towards the earth,
collecting in clear puddles

I was once a hill,
and you climbed my back,
smelling the green grass,
panting when you reached my ear,
Looking down on
a marvel of a world

I was once a hill.
Now, I'm dressed in cement
Bags untearable, chemicals foul and dark
They tear me down bit by bit every day
Like a hungry bird on a rat

I was once a hill,
Now they drill me to the ground
Make their homes
On my bones, crying out aloud
I don't complain too much.

I was once a hill,
Now my fingers
are crushed into a million pieces,
My pounding heart is painted with tar
What can I say? The wind is my voice.

Every grave has a ghost,
Tomorrow, mine will rise up
Up in a storm of dust,
Up in a sea of terror,
Come down in a torrent
Come down with the blinding sun

I was once a hill,
Today, I'm only a dirge...

Comments

Madhuri Shinde said…
So close to heart...my dear alps...enchanted days would surely come...
How do we know said…
This is LOVELY!!!

And its close to my heart too.. because i just generally love the hills too much and am way too pained at what happens to them because of us.. Sorry, I know this is blatant twisting of the way you meant this poem.. but thats the problem.. once you're written the word, its to each one's own interpretation.. :-)
Manish Raj said…
You are still a hill...i hear the wind..

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged

A Decade Later

Dazed Anatomy