The One Who Always Had Enough


The first thing I remember,
about you,
is your smell,
that lap that held many,
selflessly giving love,
giving warmth,
giving nutrition.


You never asked
for anything in return,
And I didn't even
buy you the slippers
I had thought I would,
for you.
They all say,
they can't forget your smile.
I can't forget
what lay behind your smile.
That undying strength
of a woman,
who always believed
that what's supposed to happen,
always happens.

You always scolded me
for turning up my nose
at things, and yet
you said I was pure,
just like the milkmaid,
who used to come to your
house years ago.

We can never be,
even one fourth of what you were,
Not even close to achieving
that grace under pressure,
that sturdy belief
that good brings good.

Can death kill you?
No it can't.
Your body was old,
sagging arms, tender hands,
that always caressed every one
that sought out from you.
Can death take away anything,
when life couldn't,
from the one who always had enough?

You can't be reborn.
I'm sure you've seen it all,
learnt it all.
An old soul,
you're one with the void now.

One with the void,
that begins and ends
in itself, without
light or darkness.
That only gives birth
to newer galaxies
and new lives,
watching and guiding,
the dreams of young stars.

P.S: For my grandmother (December 22, 1923 - January 8, 2007)

Comments

dharmabum said…
such a wonderful ode to your grandma.

grandparents are so lovely, and though all mine are dead and gone, i often remember them, and their love for all, especially the grandchildren :)
sophie said…
"watching and guiding the dreams
of young stars"

hopeful - i found this line
hopeful and reassuring -
this is such a warm and personal
and devoted memory of your
grandmother -
the picture was a touching
compliment to your beautiful
poem and loving heart

hugs - and love.
How do we know said…
Its always difficult when we lose grandparents. Take care....
Sugarlips said…
A ver lovely and warm post...

Just like Dharma all mine are
dead & gone but I often remember
them.

Stay Beautiful...!!
Cynnocent said…
I like the emotions behind the poem more than the words themselves. You've drawn a line that connects you and your grandmother; can see how much of her you have absorbed.
The last stanza is sheer poetry :)
Wriju said…
I am so sorry to hear that.
I feel the same "I didn't even buy you the slippers" thing again and again. I did buy her the slippers, they were big and they tore pretty quickly, but she still wears it, my granny, coz I haven't bought any new ones and she won't buy them herself.

I am missing my granny so much, I know you are too...
Margie said…
Sorry for your loss.
Amritraj said…
Alps

this one for mummy is as lovely as she was :-)

amrit

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged

A Decade Later

Dazed Anatomy