Night Voices


It came in a dream yesterday. These words. Don't remember who said them to me. It was as if it was an omnipresent voice, looming large. Maybe it was my consciousness:

"If you teach someone independence, they will assert their independence against you. If you teach someone loving, they will use your loving against you. If you teach them how to give, they will teach you how to take, and regret your giving."

These are important words, and I wonder how my brain even came up with them, that too in my sleep.
The first is applicable to children, and their rebellion against their parents. Somewhere my own guilt for not staying with my parents speaks these words. The other two are related to a man I loved, somewhere still do. He took my love, and left me a little jaded. But my faith is unbreakable. I will never say this to anyone, 'You broke my faith in people'.

As Dylan sings, "You say you lost your faith. But that's not where it's at. You had no faith to lose. And you know it..."
Things I need to ponder about. I used to keep a dream diary, inspired by Kerouac's 'Book of Dreams', but it became too difficult to update it since I dream everyday, and my dreams are not simple, but long reel surreal movies. Maybe I should start jotting them down again. Maybe I should just ignore my critical self awareness...just maybe...

Comments

How do we know said…
i don't really agree with the words in the dream... but the second part of the post me agrees with big time..
madelyn said…
your dream made me feel so sad -
i don't believe it at all -
love goes towards love i think -
it feels that way to me...

i had such a startling and beautiful dream recently and
then it was odd because it came
true - so unexpected and
magical - i should study dreams
perhaps -
you have got me thinking here!

(never a good idea:) (hugs)
dharmabum said…
i like kerouac, but haven't read the book of dreams. time for me to pick it up?

and i am sorry, but i don't agree with u. simply because i don't believe anything in life can be taught, but only learnt. we may act as an instrument for learning, but we can never teach.

and thankfully, although i am not sure if its good or bad, i don't seem to remember any of my dreams :)

Popular posts from this blog

Tagged

A Decade Later

Dazed Anatomy