From a Marriage


I watched 'Revolutionary Road' last night and it brought back so many memories. Good ones, bad ones, ones I don't share with anyone, not even myself anymore. I could see R and I, having the same fights, fights over individuality, fights over change, fights over wanting to be different, and lead a life 'less than normal'. Maybe we didn't exactly pack our bags and decide to go to Paris. If Kate and Leo had in the movie, I know exactly how that story would have ended. Kate would have supported Leo's 'hopeless emptines', working day after day, cooking, cleaning, trying to redefine herself for love, while Leo would have realised that he didn't want a marriage after all. Maybe the artists of Paris would have been his new haven.

Yes, I know exactly how that story ends. Funny part is, I had a long discussion about this with my sister post the movie. I used to believe then that love was unconditional, free and forever. I still believe the 'forever' part, but I'm not too sure about the unconditonal and free.
R and me wanted to live like that. Differently. We ensured our lives were not stagnated by routine, or the dearth of learning. We didn't care if we had no new clothes to wear. We ensured we bought 50 books every month, watched world cinema, attended shows, cooked together, learnt together. We were so hungry to grow that we forgot to love. And that pulled us apart.

I also believe now that even though people say that it's better to argue and fight, and let it out, it's not wise to display anger. Watching him break mirrors, throw utensils and punch walls, somewhere I picked up on that anger, not wanting to be left out. And before you realise it, you've changed. The anger consumes you and guilts you into not respecting the other person.

What's the secret of a strong marriage? I wouldn't say passion, love, sex or friendship. I would say the key word is 'respect'. That's what I've learnt from my failure. And the ability to accept change, to know that the person you fell in love with is not always going to be the same person. Also, the day you start numbing yourself and reach the point where nothing matters, just as Kate tells Leo in the film, "I don't care who you fuck", that's already the end there. Anything beyond that will only be a compromise.

I wish I knew all this 7 years back. Not that my trying would have changed anything. R had changed, and not even love can stop change. From being the golden couple that everyone envied, we went to being unknown to each other. I know you read my blog R. I think this is the first time I'm talking about us so openly. You would still say it was all your fault. You're the bad man, I'm the angel who put up with your shit. I would still agree. But somewhere I know that it wasn't your fault. It wasn't anyone's fault.

It's all good now. It's all good. That's the thing with love. There are never any enemies there, only lost friends.

"Wake up naked drinking coffee
Making plans to change the world
While the world is changing us
It was good good love"

Comments

How do we know said…
Congratulations.. on being able to write a post like this...

I agree with you. The keyword is "respect".

Thank you for sharing this. I could use posts like this..
A Arora said…
how: it took a lot of courage to write this. sometime i guess, i will share our story with the world. it's a very long and beautiful story, despite the tragic ending.
it might take searching and scratching the hidden corners of my heart for more such, though.
Anonymous said…
You should Aurora!after all you are anonymous..I have been commenting regularly here but have not succeeded in knowing the real you. If it makes you easy inside, you should do it asap!But it will require a very different kind of courage-think at length before you do it...
You have written beautifully but your anguish is veiled in the beautiful wording...hope you get out of your moody world soon...
Anonymous said…
dudeeee...reading such stuff makes me wanna do stupid things with u kno who's of my life.. whom i pretend to have long forgotten. Guess we all have been in a shade of those colors in the past... black, white or gray.. good, bad or ugly.. smiles, tears or wounds.. those phase will always remain etched, important and a catalyst to our present character...

P.S. The fat 500 pager was balanced on my lap all night long ;)
A Arora said…
mithe: :) my moody world? LOL

AT: Was it stable all night or did it wobble occasionally? ;)
Anonymous said…
are we talkin abt the book wobbling? :P
A Arora said…
AT: You know what 'we' are talking about. I'd be damned if you cld wobble the 500 page book with the help of ur manly powers. Or if anyone could for that matter :P
Oreen said…
a lot of soul searching resulted in this looking back with clarity.

bold of you to write about it like this here. but you were always different.

you will move on chhoti, you are young and beautiful... get into another relation, lasting, with lust and longing in it...
A Arora said…
oreen: i have moved on. as for another relationship, it'll happen when the time is right. everytime i've tried to speed it up, it hasn't worked. 'u can't hurry love, u just have to wait.' :)
and of course, lust and longing is a very very crucial part of it. u know that, rite? :P
Anonymous said…
you are dead right Aurora love just happens you can't speed it up.The best way is to let the past be bygones. Wake up fresh next morning and wake up as if you were just born.....no notions about anybody, no hinderances from your past...just a new life :)
A Arora said…
anon: why do ur words sound so familiar?
i will wait and not give up. i promise u that... :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

Tagged

Bringing It Back