Days of Bumming and Living

It's been 4 months since I last worked. Most people think I'm wasting my life away. Some others think I have a secret inheritance, or else how would I be paying my huge EMIs with no salary? I have to admit some help has come from my family, but mostly when I was working, I saved. And now that I'm not, I'm travelling, eating, buying, doing everything to make up for my lack of ambition.


I've worked since I was 19, that's much earlier than most people. I was working in the highest selling daily in the country while studying journalism, and then stuck to them the minute I completed my course. That's 10 years in a stretch, not counting the 6 months I took off to prepare for my GRE and to pursue greener pastures doing Literature. That life, of course, never happened. I've been hard working and dedicated most of my life, so why can't I take time off?

I didn't join salsa or driving classes, as I planned; neither did I lose weight. What I did instead was live and love completely. You never realise how much effort it takes to fall in love again if you are the non committal, non trusting types. Yes, I've been loving, and living now, something I forgot to do in those 10 years. I've also been cooking like crazy, baking dishes, creating recipes, something I always wanted to do.




When I look back on this time later in my life, I won't regret it. I'll cherish every moment of it. Yes, I'm lost and don't know what I want to do with my life work wise, but better that than to pretend you do know. My dad says I didn't really know when I was 20. I guess I won't know even when I'm 40.

But I do know who I am. I guess that's what really matters, doesn't it?
I should have been oozing creative juices and writing on my sabbatical, but I have been so peaceful and happy that words aren't really my game right now.
I do want to be productive, I do want the world to recognise my talent, but till they do, I'll be busy enjoying my days. It does feel as if I'm 17 again and have the whole world to conquer.
A little bit of rest never hurt anyone, especially a bum like me :)

Comments

Wriju said…
is a very 'life and times of michael k' kind of post
A Arora said…
@wriju: haven't read that one yet. how is it similar?
ram said…
i really envy you from the bottom of my heart!!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
but lose the chic!
A Arora said…
@ram: don't. it has its financial pitfalls too :)

@anon: should i lose the chic, or have i lost the chic, or what the hell r u trying to say? lol...one of the strangest comments ever!

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

Tagged

Bringing It Back