The Morning Has Changed

White sea,
frivolous foam,
over a
dirty brown
syrup.
Coffee
with a sprinkle
of cinnamon
was never
my preference.
I always liked
my cup of tea,
the way
it was,
strong,
clear, strained,
golden glow,
with a slice
of pungent ginger
to get my kicks.

Coffee
is beautiful, sensual
like a fairy world,
but the
awakening
is disappointing,
leaving behind
the smell
of lost dreams.

My tea,
is reality,
grounded,
yet deep
and sublime
only for those
who prefer to
leave the frills
aside
and look
for substance.

You are confusion,
swirling waves,
looking to
churn and churn
for time immemorial,
Leaving it all aside,
hurling in hedonism,
people, noise, excitement.

I'm steady,
century old pebble
at the bottom
of a passionate river,
tempestous above,
quiet below.

Don't offer me
waves anymore,
I've lived
inside that life once.
Can you give
me a promise
of refreshing
water,
depth,
crystal clear ideas
of brilliance?

I don't like coffee,
I never will.
There's a reason
why there are cafes
galore,
young unknown voices
in coffee bars,
sitting over cups
of froth,
talking fast,
then when done,
walking away,
towards home.

Did you ever wait,
to watch an old man
sipping his cup of tea
patiently for hours?
Have you seen
the accepting look
on his face
as he reminisces
over his life?

I don't like coffee,
I never will.
I don't like confusion
either.
But the morning
has changed.
And coffee
has found a place
in my kitchen,
and slyly
towards my heart,
without my prude
approval.

Comments

sophie said…
Funny! I sit here in the morning
sipping my chai and smiling:)

I am so curious about you.
Your writing truly is
mature both in the gift of
expression and your perception
of things. I tend to feel and
then write - very elementary from
the heart - but you feel and SEE
and write with ancient wisdom
and....lately...distance.

I am sure - absolutely sure -
you will ride the waves again.
Passionate people were born to
give love and experience it.
I also love coffee shops but
I LOVE the frills - i love the
cinnamon and the foam and the
pictures in the milk and
....the delicious meandering of
thoughts over tea.
Gorgeous writing:)

oh and cute ending!
(see? never say never!)
Aradhna said…
Hats off!
I have been a silent admirer of your blog. But this one needs a expressed admiration.

great writing.
Sugarlips said…
Very deliciously written :) I really like the way u said...
My tea,
is reality,
grounded,
yet deep
and sublime
only for those
who prefer to
leave the frills
aside
and look
for substance.


I love love love chai...Ginger tea...Chai Latte...Masla Chai..Dood Patti...All kinda chai rocks :)

I don't drink coffee much...there are very few places who make good coffee & cookies...But I love small little cozy cafes with colorful chairs :)

Stay Beautiful..!!
Wanderlust said…
wow what a way to look at smthing which sims such a trivial part of our life like sipping on a cup of tea or coffee.....hmm nw that coffee has found place in ur kitchen, i guess i will grow all the more close to, coz i live on coffee, it gives me the kick just when i nid to be kicked out of my grief and strike back at life, hope u get it, u do, dnt u??? :) tk care sweetie

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back