Ophelia - Sir John Everett Millais


The Loneliness of the Other

"But you told me,
you're not lonely."

"Yes," I spoke,
and these few words,
to my blood sister.

"I'm not lonely,
but I'm alone,
It's not the loneliness
of the self,
I feel.
It's the loneliness
of the other."

"What does that mean?"
she asked.

"It means,
that with myself
I am complete,
with my own
I'm satisfied.
But the other,
my love, makes
me lonely."

"So, why do you need
the other?"

"Because,
though my own self
is enough
for me,
it is not enough
for my world."

And with
these words,
once again,
I made
the world
outside,
shrink,
and captured it,
into a small
crystal ball,
to gaze
into my own
known future.

Comments

sophie said…
my own self is enough for the
world ...

but not for me...

i am hanging upside down so
i am looking at things differently!!!!

hugs

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
loved the picture of Ophelia -
i collect vintage childrens books
with gorgeous illustrations...
love that pix so much:)
dharmabum said…
beautiful, like always!

am not the 'love' kinds though :(
B said…
This is a beautiful post...and I love your blog...read the whole thing one night..mind was strangely blank..'twas in the twilight zone...till the light dawned...and it all made sense...there is always someone else going through the same exhausting emotions that you feel only you can feel...it's a relief...and it's the subtraction of a degree from the six degrees...blogsville is a small town...kudos.

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back