Really? (Part 2)




I missed out on one part of reality in my last post. I think I would like to talk about it. There's a film I wanted to watch ever since it had released. I was maybe 20 then. I watched it today. It's called 'Sliding Doors'. It is about the parallel universes that we live in all the time. Us in another situation, another time, another us. I've been fascinated by this ever since I had read Richard Bach's One, which was also probably when I was 20.

I've been moping and moping about my pain for a really long time. And of course, sometimes we don't see the truth because we choose not too. Some other times, the truth is not revealed to us. It would have in another parallel universe, and we would have been different people.

I sometimes feel that if my path was not the one I had taken, I would have probably been a famous journalist in one, a happily married woman with kids in another, and the owner of a seaside shack in a more fascinating one. But it would all have been me. Just not me as I am now.

I heard a woman's voice on the phone while I was holidaying and he was living in my house. He laughed and said I had imagined it. Had I? I chose to live in self pity for a year, believing he really loved me. Maybe like Gwyneth Paltrow, I too would have caught the right train, and life would have been different.

The point is, we can't choose our parallel universe. We can only be aware that it exists. And sometimes know, we hold the key to reach there. Reality is, after all what we perceive it to be. And sometimes, if not always, our perceptions are real.

Comments

dharmabum said…
what a profound post that.

i hope i will get to watch that movie sometime.

there is a book titled 'einsteins dreams' which talks of something similar - of worlds in which the conception of time is different. its fascinating. do read it, and make it ten thousand and one.

thank you.
Madhuri Shinde said…
Good One...a blend of science and philosophy!!!

We think only till the limit we see, but there are things beyond what we think. There is always an extra dimension hidden behind the dimension that we see...to give u facts from Physics world, it is proposed that the world is 10 dimensional, 9 space (distance) dimensions and 1 time dimension. But for us, the reality is 3 space dimensions and 1 time dimension because we can't perceive beyond that...so lot of chances of having two replicas or parallel personalities of u!!!
A Arora said…
varun: thats a very open statement :P

dharma: i've heard abt the book, espc from madeline's blog (persisting stars). don't know if it's available here. do watch the movie.

maddy: darling, ur physics gyaan went totally over my head! u promised me tuitions a long time back. when am i gona get them? :)
Varun said…
if you need more physics dope, you could read about the multiverse explanation of quantum mechanics! :)

By 'very true' I meant your statement - Reality is, after all what we perceive it to be.

Akira Kurosawa dealt with the subject of subjective reality in the film Rashomon made on Akutagawa's novel.

Where did you get the movie from?
dharmabum said…
i found it here in madras. if you wouldn't mind waiting, i'll give it to you when i get there. whenever that is. wherever u are :)

just dropped by to wish you a great year ahead. there is joy in sadness and that why i like coming here. *hugs*

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back