The River's Edge

Image: Angela Bradburn

Doesn't it hurt,
the unconquerable peak,
the undefined verse,
the uncaptured chord,
the inescapable heaviness
at the bottom of the heart?

I know it does.
So what if I can't feel it,
or remember the tearing
of skin from thorny bushes
near the river so calm.

No one can console or
reassure you of
better days to come
when the scar goes under
more scars, and new flesh grows
making you new and cold
to those with fresh scars

Remember one thing,
everybody feels,
even when scars are created
or hidden far below.
The beauty and the pain,
not just in the flowing of the river,
but also in the parched up ground.

Comments

Mampi said…
Beautiful.
I had been coming regularly, but not commenting anymore.
The pain is too obvious to ignore, so I had to delurk.
Brown Weed said…
Like Tennyson's lines,
'I hold it true, whatever befall
I feel it, when I sorrow most;'

one speaks to oneself, and slowly gets convinced.
Very beautifully written. Thank you.
Manish Raj said…
I could not be indifferent
to those scars..
I still feel the pain
when the autumn leaves fall.

And I always thank God
for all those pain
that revived an undiscerned heart
to love others again...

Cheers
Shrink
A Arora said…
mampi: it is not my pain that i feel anymore..

mr bo: ur welcome..all for u..

manish: u always manage to make me smile. thanks shrink :)
Jagjit said…
Been there, done that. It's when you become used to pain and pain becomes used to you. :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

Bringing It Back

Tagged