Flipping the Coin

 


I always wanted

A house by the sea, 

But I hadn't thought

About the bad humidity. 

All that sand in your feet, 

That always finds its way

To your bed, no matter

How much you tread. 

I wasn't prepared for the heat, 

All that sticky, sorry sweat, 

That gets in your hair, 

And makes your thighs 

Rub together, 

Like chocolate eclairs. 

Oh, the sound of the waves

Is like heaven to my ears, 

But I miss the sound of the birds

That would never settle here. 

I miss my cool rainy air, 

And the roads that I know. 

Golden sands and blue skies

Are picture perfect for island holidays, 

But they could never be my home. 

I love to eat fresh fish and shrimp, 

And drink beer in the afternoon. 

But I would not trade 

My cloudy morning walks

For a lazy hammock siesta, 

Where you got nothing to do. 

I always wanted

A house by the sea. 

But that isn't me, 

Anymore, just as it isn't 

Right, to want to try

So hard to be someone 

You're not or 

Someone you can't 

Really see yourself be. 

I just want to be, 

Not who I wanted to be, 

But who I really am, 

Right now.

And who I really am, 

Is not who I wanted to be. 


(Photo taken at Oblu Experience, Ailafushi, Maldives) 



Comments

How do we know said…
Beautiful!! loved reading this.
A Arora said…
How: thank you. And happy Diwali 🙂

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back