A Reminder

 



A little girl came and sat next to me today. After a long time, I enjoyed having a conversation with someone. This is how it went:

"I came to your house for trick or treating. "

"Is it? "

"Yes, don't you remember me? I remember you. "

"Not really."

"I was a strawberry. Now do you remember? "

"Errmm. Not actually. But you are very cute. What's your name? "

"It's Jiyana"

"What does it mean? "

"No meaning. I don't think I mean anything. "

"Everybody means something. Jiya means heart. I suppose your name has something to do with a heart. Like heartful or good hearted. Are you good hearted? "

"Yes, that I am. "

"See, your parents chose the right name for you. "

"What does your name mean? "

"It means small. Though I'm not small in any way. I never really liked my name. Always wished my parents chose a different name. Like Tara or Nikita."

"I like my name. "

"You should. It's a lovely name. How old are you?"

"I'm five. "

"That's it? Are you alone? Who's with you?"

"No one. I came for a walk alone. "

"So did I. But I'm a grown up. You are really small. What if something happened to you? "

"I am not afraid. Nothing will happen to me.  Were you afraid when you were small? "

"No. Never. I was just like you. I wasn't scared of being alone. I used to wander alone everywhere too. "

"Then nothing will happen to me as well. "

"What if you fell in a ditch? "

"I'll get up. "

"What if someone kidnaps you? "

"I'll hit them straight on the face. Punnnchh! "

"Ha ha. You are adorable. "

"I go to pre kg. "

"Which school? "

"ABC"

"That's so far away! "

"Noooo. I go fast and I come fast. I don't get bored in a bus. "

"That's the right attitude. Listen, never go anywhere with strangers or let them touch you, okay? "

"Okay. My mumma already told me that."

" That's good. You are a good girl. It's dark now. You should go home and have dinner. "

"Alright."

"Shake my hand Miss J. It was lovely meeting you. "

"It was nice meeting you too. "

"See you around. "

"See you. Byeee. "

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back