The Hairband



Today, I had a memory

Of you in a hairband, 

And a maroon shirt. 

I laughed and teased you, 

And you smiled

Your mischievous smile

With your hidden eyes. 

I said, 'But you know what, 

It suits you so much, 

Now that you have long hair. 

All you need is a leather jacket, 

And a bike with me behind, 

One hand on your thigh, 

And the other caressing

Your neck as we recklessly

Drive onto highways, 

Leaving our broken cities behind. '


You said, 'Do you think I look sexy? 

Would you really leave everything

Behind for me and never regret it? '

I replied, 'You would look sexy

Even if you had no hair. 

But no, I don't sell so cheap, 

Not for a colourful hairband. 

Offer me a better deal. '

You pulled me close, 

And whispered, 

'Can I offer you my soul, 

In return for a promise

That you would always miss me? '

I sniggered, 

'But my love, 

I already own your soul, 

Give me your hairband instead. '

I dug my face in your hair, 

And smelled your sweat. 

Then I watched your eyes, 

As you casually avoided my gaze. 


Today, I had a memory

Of you in a hairband. 

Maybe it was you, 

Or someone else. 

Maybe, I made it all up

In my head. 

But I remember 

The hairband very well. 

You, I'm not so sure, 

I knew that well at all. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back