Erotomania




From the corner of my eye, 

I see a dash of blue, a hint of white. 

I think I see you, maybe I'm right. 

Maybe I'm wrong, and I am unsure. 

This isn't the first time this has happened. 

It probably won't be the last this year. 


Once I saw you sitting on the stairs, 

When I asked what you were doing there, 

You said, But I'm not here, you got it wrong. 

You want to see me, that's what it's about. 

I shrugged and sighed and walked away. 

I still think you were there, but I guess it's okay. 


I remember sitting quietly deep in meditation, 

Heard footsteps and a laugh, it was disturbing. 

So I opened my eyes to find you lurking. 

Hello there, I said, have you come to see me? 

No, you said, I'm just enjoying the scenery. 

And once I watched you run past me, 

Wait, wait, I said, why are you in a hurry? 

I have places to go, you said, I have things to do. 

I think I wanted to talk to you about myself, 

But then I realised I was invisible to you. 


Look, I know I'm imagining all the time. 

Maybe someday it will finally stop

Happening to me and happen to you instead. 

But today I was sure I saw you. 

Actually, I'm not sure at all. 

My eyes are weak and my mind deceives me. 

Was it real? I would like to believe it. 

But I won't. Whatever be the case, 

One thing I'm certain of, if I saw you, 

At least I know that you saw me too. 

Comments

Oreen said…
this is so relatable...
and only a lover can comprehend what it feels like. beautifully expressed.
A Arora said…
Thanks Ari. Glad u liked it. The funny thing about this is the one suffering from it so strongly believes their love is real and reciprocated that they choose not to believe in pure evidence at all. When I read about its psychology and why it happens, I related to it too. Time to go back to the shrink :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back