Friend


Were you my friend? 

Though I never knew you, 

And we didn't enjoy

Long walks or afternoon tea, 

A glass of wine in each other's company. 

We did not laugh together or cry. 

You did not tell me that you loved dogs, 

And I never even asked you why, 

You looked so sad and lonely, 

Who broke your heart, 

And who picked up its pieces for you? 

We never held hands to comfort each other, 

And I don't even know your best friend's name, 

The one who lives across the ocean, 

The other one who left school when you were eight. 

But I know your favourite colour, 

It's the same as mine; so is your favourite food. 

I know you overthink everything to ruin it,

And how you never sleep soundly at night. 

I know you want to help, but you just don't know how. 

I know you secretly dance in your bedroom, 

When no one's watching you. The books you read, 

The words you type and delete, I'm sure 

I would read them if you only shared them with me. 

I see your child like eyes and your forced smiles. 

The world has disappointed you, but not me. 

I never got to know you enough to hurt you. 

Were you my friend? 

Maybe you were. 

We shared so much together, 

Even though we hardly spoke. 

But now everything's changed, 

And we can't try again. 

Were you my friend? 

Maybe more. But we will never know

How we could have saved each other. 

Will we? We might never know. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back