The Cave



She tiptoed further into the dark cave, following the sound of the water ahead. The cave was damp and smelt of death. It did not bother her at all, and neither was she afraid. She knew she was not allowed to see him, but who decided that? Who made up these rules? Once, just once, she had to see him. He had been in isolation for way too long. 

She saw his footprints leading into the darkness. And then she saw bloody handprints on the walls of the cave. It had started then. He must be in a lot of pain. 

Finally, she spotted him. Lying next to an underground stream. He was crying in anguish. When he saw her approach, he could not believe his eyes. 

"You are not real. I'm imagining you again, am I not? "

"No, my darling. It really is me. "

She saw tears roll down his cheeks. The skin around his eyes was dark. He hadn't slept for days. Those eyes that brightened her smiles were dull. His lips were chapped and dry, his hair soiled from lying on top of stones. Then she looked at his hands. They were cut and bloody. He had been fighting against the pain. 

She sat down and touched his back. She could spot the tiny brown wings tearing through the skin. She had to make sure she didn't touch them. 

She touched his cheek and cupped his face. He moved her hand away. 

"Now, you come? Do you know how much I've been suffering? I've been here for months. There is no light here, I'm all alone. I've been fighting these demons that keep taunting me. They tell me to give up, tell me that I'm no good. That you could never love someone like me. What have you come here for? "

She did not get angry. She held his hand. 

"I've come here to tell you that I cannot be here with you. You have to do this alone. If you really have to transform, it has to be your fight alone. I've come to tell you that I'm going to go away. But I will never really be gone. I will always be waiting for you, even if takes an eternity, which it won't. You are not far from it. I've come here to tell you I have always loved you, and I will always love you. But you and I cannot be together till you transform. "

He laughed silently. 

"You come to mock me? Why should I go through this anyway? What happens if I step out of the cave right now?"

"If you step out right now, you will never see me ever again. Also, you will become like the demons who taunt you. They are neither human nor angel. "

He sighed. Then he looked at her with those eyes that came in her dreams every night. Those eyes that she had recognised the first time she ever saw him in the forest. She felt a tingle go through every cell of her body. 

"Show me what I'm striving for. Show them to me. "

She nodded and stood up, spreading her wings wide. They were white with grey specks. 

He admired her wings and smiled. 

"Was it as painful for you?"

"It was the worst pain of my life. Every day, I wanted to die. It felt as if it would take forever, that I would slowly wither away in this cave alone. That you would never miss me, that I would never see you ever again. "

"I'm so sorry. I never understood what you went through back then. But now I can. You were so strong to not give up. "

"You are strong too. Much more stronger than me. You will get through this. I need you to. Promise me you will. "

"I will if you stay. Stay with me, guide me, tell me what to do. Hold my hand always, kiss my lips, I will get through hell if I have you with me. "

"I can't. That is the condition. You have to do it alone. I have to go now. "

"Please don't go. "

"Trust me. You can do this. I will be waiting for you outside. When your wings are ready, we will fly off together on our new journey, towards our new home. You will not hear from me till then. Do not, I repeat again, do not doubt my love. When you feel the pain is unbearable, just think of me. I'm always in your thoughts. Promise me, please, you will survive this and not give up. "

"I promise. If it's a life with you that waits for me beyond all of this, I will not give up. "

She bent down and kissed his forehead. Then before her heart could stop her, she fled out of the cave. 

When the sunlight hit her eyes, she took a deep breath and tasted the clean, fresh air. She could hear him shrieking in pain, but it did not worry her any more. He was going to make it, he had to make it out of there, for her, for their future. 

She flapped her wings and flew away into the bright sky. All she had to do was wait now. For him, she was willing to wait for all of eternity. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back