Pining Away





"You are a prickly pear, 

A porcupine, 

Who doesn't like being touched. "

What do you people know, 

About the days I've spent

Wanting to be touched? 

Or the nights I lay in bed, 

Unable to sleep, 

Because all I could think of

Was the ways in which

I would like to be touched? 

See, I will touch you

Only if I find you to be real. 

And I will let you touch me, 

Only if I do not feel threatened by you. 

As a child, I failed to do that, 

As young, hot blood, I touched everyone, 

I let everyone touch me. 

I believed touch was equal to love. 

But it's not really true all the time. 

Sometimes it's about power, 

Sometimes about protection. 

Sometimes about desire. 

That's besides the point, 

That's not me any more. 

Earn my trust, earn my touch. 

Did you know a porcupine

Detaches its quills to make its escape? 

I can pretend to let my guard down. 

But you will never know I'm pretending. 

I'm not a porcupine, 

But I'll let you believe it. 

I'm also not a prickly pear, 

More like a coconut. 

But you already know that. 

No, you can't hug me 

No, please dont touch me. 

I may break down if you do. 

That you must never know. 

Call me a cold hearted bitch if you may, 

But that you must never know. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back