Void


 Anjuna beach, Goa


Humdrum of high tide

Hardly hear my heart

Heavy hands here they pull

Lovers, lovers, them mighty lovers

I remember them from long ago, 

Dragging their feet, singing a song. 

Sea sees your barren nostalgia. 

Memories worthless without a price. 

I don't like the sea, he says, 

Endless voids scare me, 

Take me to a hill anyday. 

She says, embrace the void, 

It's your only friend. 

He realises how different they are

Then he pulls her closer away. 

But these two, I see how he gives

And she just takes and takes. 

Poor little daddy's girl, 

Always saying, look at me, 

Take my photo, give me gifts. 

Lovers, lovers, them weak willed lovers

Offering their futility to the sea. 

The sea watches and laughs, 

As they compare their wounds, 

Someday it will devour

All of their frivolity and freedom. 

The girl says, be strong for me

Because I will give you a trophy

Of importance and assurance. 

But he's tired of giving everything away. 

He needs a strong woman, 

One who worships him, 

And in the night, he can put

His head in her lap and pray. 

I too, used to be a little boy, he complains. 

My daddy died, I didn't even cry.

Why do you always want so much? 

What about all my unheard pain? 

The sea laughs again, 

It knows how to give and take, 

Give and take, unlike the hill

Whose sounds are silent, 

In the night when it's afraid. 

It roars all night, so misunderstood, 

Trying to teach the lovers 

Of voids they must fill themselves, 

Or learn how to lose their sanity

To each other in the end. 

In the end, there is no end,

Only the void, your only friend. 

Lovers, lovers, callous lovers, 

Pretending to love for love. 

Love turns to hate in a second, 

The sea nods, embracing hate, 

Come to me, I'm endless, 

I will not judge what you can't hide, 

I will embrace you in my endless void. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back