The Light




There was once a little girl who often felt alone. She had no friends, and even though she loved being with the grown-ups, she would crave for someone just like her. 

One day, the girl sat alone, playing with a leaf and watching the adults talk about office and politics and food and money. She pretended to understand what they were saying, but she was bored. If only she had someone she could talk to about magic and clouds and kittens and flowers. 

She saw a little boy come sit next to her. She was so happy because he was just like her. He had the same orange light that those untainted by the world had in their youth. As they grew older, the light would change to a greyish blue. 

She went up to him and smiled. 

"Will you be my friend? We are so alike. "

The boy looked up at her and she was sad to see his eyes were grey, in spite of his light being orange. She felt so much pain just looking at him that she wanted to reach out and hold him tight. 

"What happened to you? Why are you so sad? "

"I'm not sad. I am joyful. Can't you see my light? "

"I can. But why are your eyes grey? "

"It is because they are still not formed fully. But I can see your light very faintly. "

She reached out and held his hand. 

"I can be your eyes. I can help you find your way. Will you be my friend? "

"Yes," said the boy. "Can you tell me about the sky and what colour it is today? Maybe you can help me find a butterfly. I always wanted to hold one in my hand. "

"Of course! I'm very gentle with butterflies. And the sky is baby blue with pink clouds today. "

The two became friends. The boy was very shy and never opened up to anyone except his new friend. With her, he became carefree and loud, even though his family disapproved of the girl. She saw his eyes were getting better and he was beginning to see the wondrous world that she showed to him everyday. Sometimes when he was sad about the flower that had failed to bloom, she would talk to him about forests full of flowers. She would sing songs for him at night before he ran off home to sleep. 

He was very attached to her too. Finally, he had found someone he could be himself with. But one day, she saw his eyes were dark. Even his orange light was beginning to fade away. 

"I am unwell. I have to go away to get better. I hope someday I can come back and we can be friends again."

After he left, the little girl cried away for days. She was alone again. The clouds and the rain drops and the puppies failed to bring her joy. She missed her friend but hoped that God would heal him soon. 

Many years passed and the girl grew up to be a maiden. But she did not lose her light. It had transformed into a fiery red. She kept more and more to herself because no one really understood her. She spent days walking in the rain and planting seeds that would one day blossom into dahlias and roses. 

One rainy night, when she was sitting in the dark as usual, she saw a warm light approach her. It was a man with a yellow light and shining silver eyes. She recognised him instantly. 

"You came back? Are you okay now? "

He smiled and she saw he had the most dazzling silver eyes. He had recovered and found his strength in the light of the moon. 

"I am okay. But I am not like the others. I never was, and I don't think I want to be. Look at your light, it's bright red! "

The maiden ran and hugged him tight. They were different and yet so alike. The only two adults who would never fit in. When he held her, their lights merged to form an orange hue, just like the one they had years ago. 

When it was time for the sun to set, the two friends lay down on the grass, watching the stars come up. It would never be dark in their world. Wherever they were together, there would always be joy and light. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Decade Later

The Story of K (contd.)

Bringing It Back